Florida Engineering Society: St. Petersburg College Student Chapter
- Position held: Member from August 2012 to May 2013, Promotional Officer from September 2012 to May 2013.
- During my last academic year at SPC, I had the privilege of being a member of the college’s chapter of FES and later one of its officers. This position afforded me opportunities that I would have never had otherwise. I was able to visit and tour the DeSoto Next Generation Solar Energy Center in Arcadia, FL, the zero-energy home envisioned by Marc Rutenberg in East Lake, FL, and even attend and speak at the 2013 FES Leadership Conference. Presenting at this event was truly an honor and a wonderful networking experience in which I met many delightful and brilliant professionals and fellow students from all around the state. Below is a picture of me speaking at this event and the PowerPoint I used to discuss the successes of SPC’s chapter in winning the Delta Award for 2012.
Myself presenting at the conference.
Most Active Student Chapter Delta Award Presentation
- Presenting at the leadership conference gave me valuable experience in public speaking and crafting an effective presentation: one that’s short enough to keep it interesting yet long enough to cover what needs to be discussed. However, throughout the year I gained experience in communicating with students and instructors confidently during college functions and events where we promoted our organization. Lastly, at the end of the academic year I had the honor of being presented with the Pinellas Chapter of FES Scholarship Award – a prestigious award only granted to one college student and one high school student per year.
Chi Epsilon: University of Florida Chapter
- Position held: Vice President from April 2014 to April 2015
- I served as the Vice President of the University of Florida Chapter of Chi Epsilon – the civil and environmental engineering honor society. My responsibilities included scheduling guest speakers to visit and talk during general body meetings, assuming leadership when the President was absent, organizing and hosting Fundamentals of Engineering exam reviews, and otherwise helping other officers and members fulfill their duties and achieve all they can.
Tau Beta Pi: Florida Alpha Chapter
- Position held: Webmaster from April 2015 to April 2016, Social Chair from April 2016 – December 2016, Alumni Coordinator from December 2016 – Present
- As Webmaster, I maintained the organization’s website using PHP coding concepts to share information clearly and accurately for members, candidates, faculty, and the general public. Moreover, I am also currently working with other members to design and manufacture clock faces for the clocktower outside of Weil Hall on UF’s campus. For the Fall 2016 semester, I was elected as one of two Social Chairs. My goal in this position was to foster and organize events that strengthen friendships between all members of Tau Beta Pi and especially build new bonds with candidates and electees. I am particularly proud of a networking social we hosted at the 2016 UF Art in Engineering event. In addition to connecting candidates with members of our organization, it allowed for everyone to express and share their outlooks and approaches to STEM topics and how the arts are intertwined with these. Now as the Alumni Coordinator for Spring 2017, I aim to bridge the gap between alumni and student members by encouraging community, service, and mentorship.
- Awarded Florida Medallion Scholars Award by the State of Florida in August 2011.
- Awarded John W. and Mittie Collins Scholarship by UF’s College of Engineering in March 2014.
- Awarded Florida Environmental Scholarship by UF’s Department of Environmental Engineering Sciences in January 2015.
- Awarded J. Fred and Lilly C. Wilkes Endowment Award by UF’s Department of Environmental Engineering Sciences in December 2015.
- Awarded NSF GRFP Honorable Mention by the National Science Foundation in March 2016.
- Awarded Undergraduate Outstanding Service/Leadership Award by UF’s Department of Environmental Enigneering Sciences in April 2016.
- Awarded Outstanding Gator Engineering Two-Year Scholar Award by UF’s College of Engineering in April 2016.
- Awarded Iva and Norman Tuckett UFTI Fellowship by UF’s College of Engineering in April 2016.